I’ve always admired my cousin Cami’s style. In fact, I requested that any time she buys something new to please send me the details. We’ve had a long-standing history of dressing like twins that we need to uphold [insert awk family photo here]. She’s all about shopping less and buying the best your money can afford. I’m trying to apply this “buy better not more” mantra to my life. Although, who doesn’t love a Forever21 cheap thrill now and again?! In Napa, I asked her what she considers the top 10 wardrobe “essentials” every woman should have in her closet. Cami recommends starting with this simple and classic wardrobe foundation:
1. A great tee-shirt you can dress up or down: T by Alexander Wang: the black muscle tee.
2. Classic gold hoops: Save your pennies and buy a pair that will last. She recommends Bloomingdale’s brand.
3. Equipment silk blouse: Perfect for the office or tucked into skinny jeans for a chic look (think Miranda Kerr).
4. K. Jacques sandals: A fuss-free shoe staple for warm weather. Cami has this style.
5. Jeans: Rag & Bone for dark skinny jeans and Mother for a flared profile.
6. Black blazer: Invest in a smart-looking blazer to polish up an outfit. Helmut Lang and Theory are her favorite brands. I just scored this boyfriend blazer on major sale.
7. Sunglasses: Oliver Peoples or classic Ray-Bans.
8. Black tall flat boot: The 5050 Boot; Booties: Rag & Bone Classic Newbury.
9. A fashionable scarf: to complete your look. Zara and Nordstrom brand scarves are great.
10. Grey sweater: Calypso St. Barth and Vince never fail.
[How about one more? Invest in a silk shirt dress…another great piece you can dress up or down. And you’ll wear it a ton.]